Monday, March 30, 2009

The B-word

Arg. It's that time again...for the ...BOTTLE!

The breastfeeding is going great and I love it, especially that this time around I don't feel like a cow being milked for hours on end. It's because of the surgery I'll be having on May 7th for my dermoid cyst, and I don't want Michael to go bonkers trying to feed Susan. This is how it goes:

10pm-Michael goes to bed (lucky...), and I get 1 ounce ready for Susan. You heard me, the same size as a shot of tequila, rum, that teeny-weeny glass you could step on and barely notice.
10-11pm. WAAAH! (gulp air) WAAAHHHHH! (burp) (silence)
I try again... WAAAH! (gulp air) WAAAHHHHH! (burp) (silence)

Rinse and Repeat. By the way, there are *way* more WAAAH's and WAAAHHHHH's involved, but you get the point.

What drives me nuts is that she's getting *so close*, but then gulps air, or doesn't like the temperature of the bottle because it's been 1/2 hour since it was warmed up.

And after that hour? She's gotten 1/2 ounce in. It'd be faster feeding her with an eyedropper, but the one that I have is 1/30th of an ounce. GAH!

The plus side to this? She's so tired from crying, that when I do breastfeed her, she sleeps for 5.5 hours and that means that I can sleep for 5 hours straight!!!

It's been 4 days so far, and I hope she gets the hang of it real soon.

2 comments:

Fawn said...

Good luck!

I always read that it was better for someone OTHER than mommy to do the bottle because baby knows you've got a booby and why the heck are you putting this rubber thing in my mouth, anyway?

Even the low-flow nipples seem fast for a baby at first, hunh? That's a problem for Halia, too. Maybe if she's sitting a little more upright?

Unknown said...

Hmm, this sounds so very familiar to me....Faith refused to drink from a bottle until I started mixing in a little formula with it, made it taste sweeter, I guess...AND I went through about 8 different types of nipples before I found one she actually liked....