Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

I guess my only Earth-Day story happened at the supermarket today. Loblaws and it's other stores have chosen to not give out free plastic bags anymore, and will be charging customers 5 cents per bag now. Personally, I think that this is a great thing. A small way to feel good. Plus, I already have several reusable bags, plus a box that I always manage to leave behind at home. This is definitely a good incentive. I will miss my primary source for bags for the diaper pail though!

However, I feel sorry for all those poor employees that will be berated for implementing the change.

People, these low-end of the totem employees did not come up with this idea. If you really don't like it, give Galen Weston a shout (he's the head honcho around those parts). Heck, if you want to feel better, yell at the manager of the store. That's what he gets paid to deal with, not the lady getting minimum wage to support her family.

I did smile when I said "No thank you" when I was offered to buy a bag. I guess my only beef is that I didn't feel like they were really telling customers in advance. I only found out by accident. But I will keep that thought to myself.

Other that that, I wasn't very earthy. I drove into town and drank water out of a plastic bottle. I was trying to find a water fountain to refill it at the mall to feel half the guilt but couldn't find one. I bought 2 bags of disposable diapers. And I'm pretty sure I ate out of a styrofoam container at lunch. Guess I have a long way to go...

No comments: