Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bananarama

For the first time in 20 years, I ate a banana and...enjoyed it!

Let me go back here...

Up until I was about 8 years old, I LOVED bananas, couldn't get enough of them.
Then one day at my Granny's house, I was eating a sliced banana in a bowl with milk and sugar. I ate it, then declared, "I don't want to eat any more bananas." Overnight, I couldn't even be in the same room as a banana because it smelled so bad, and would gag if I had a bite.

Over the years, I would have people proclaim:
"You don't like bananas? Here, eat this, you can hardly taste the banana." (Yeah, right. What food do you not like? Do you want me to make you eat it? Didn't think so.)

"You don't like bananas? But it has as much iron as a piece of steak!" (Thanks, you've just reinforced my argument. I'd much rather eat a steak than a banana!)

Or I'd just get the sneaky people who'd try to slip it in a dish and act all innocent when I noticed the awful scent wafting into my delicate nostrils. Bleaugh!

Then a few years ago, it didn't smell as bad as it used to. Then I had a sip of Michael's smoothie with banana in it...it was okay, but I couldn't manage to drink a whole glass myself.

Then yesterday, Pam (my sister-in-law) gave me fruit salad. It smelled good. It tasted even better. What the heck was that sweet tasting fruit? A banana???

YUMMY!

I decided not to say anything until I had eaten the whole bowl. What if halfway through, I changed my mind? Nope, still delicious.

So I like bananas. We're taking things slowly, and letting the relationship bloom. After all, it's been over 20 years, and there's no need to rush things. Maybe one day the unconditional love will return...

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Ahahaha! Hilarious! I have a similar relationship with ketchup.