Thursday, May 03, 2007

First Immunization-May 2nd
Oh, I was feeling a bit anxious! Jillian got not 1, but 2 shots today, one in each leg. I took my friend's recommendation and gave her some Tempra before I left. When the nurse came in, she was cranky because her diaper was dirty. She showed me how to hold her right leg down, then got the needle. As the nurse was about to inject her, Jillian kicked with her left leg and the nurse ended up getting the needle in her own hand! Luckily, she was nice about it, and Jillian got her shots!

Her crying wasn't as bad as I thought, and by the time she ate, she had calmed down and fell asleep. Actually, she spent most of the day sleeping. Poor girl, when she woke up, she would whimper and cry while I changed her, then cried while she was eating. I know it's for her own good, but I don't like to see her in pain, even if it's only for the day. In any case, it was like when she was a newborn, just sleeping and eating the whole day. I was worried that she wouldn't be able to sleep at night, but she was fine.

Phew! Now we don't have to go back for another 2 months. She's now 11 pounds, 7 ounces, and 23 inches long, so her growth has slowed down a bit from the first month. I'm just astounded that women give birth to babies this size! I couldn't even begin to imagine.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

I haven't had a chance to read many posts yet (just this one) but I feel for ya! It's great that Jillian just had 2 shots, though -- every province is a bit different and in Yukon, the babies get FOUR shots at their first immunization visit. Jade was really good for the first three (she was breastfeeding WHILE we gave her the needles) but by the fourth one, it was ALL over!

The second time round she didn't cry as much, though, so don't think it'll necessarily be this bad every time!