Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Well, today was the courthouse date where I had to testify against the fraudster that was trying to open the account with fake ID.

To my surprise, unlike TV;
-the courthouse was on the 3rd floor of a regular office building (no big set of steps leading to a columned building)
-the walls were green instead of oak paneling,
-the courthouse officials were going through cases at a fast clip,
-there were cops everywhere, and
-the 'bad guy' wasn't there.

I met with the officer that I gave my statement to, and I watched a few of the proceedings before it was our turn to testify. The police officer went up first and started being questioned by the prosecution, but the prosecutor stopped and requested that I leave so I wouldn't be influenced by the officer's testimony. I got up and waited outside(with an extra waddle in my step!). I was called in a few minutes later, thinking that I would read my statement like a few of the officers did, but the prosecutor asked me some questions that I had to answer from memory. Luckily, I had been reviewing this in my mind for several days(weeks!).

I did have to place the bible and "swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God". There was no giggling or smiling on my part...I was a bit nervous and 20-30 people were watching me! I think that I was up there for 5-10 minutes.

When I was talking to the officer after I left the courtroom, I asked him why the bad guy wasn't there. He explained that the criminal trial already happened, and this trial had to do with the fake ID part. So, it wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be, but I'm relieved at the same time!

All I can say is that I watch way too much 'Law & Order', and other crime TV shows!

No comments: