Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ah, the baby's fast asleep for the night and I have a high-speed connection right now!

So, the rest of our trip to Trinidad went very well. We:
-went to Toco beach, where Jillian went in the Atlantic Ocean and was having fun until she got hit by a wave and didn't like it anymore!
-went to Enterprise (not the spaceship!), and visited my Dad's side of the family. The neat thing is, I have pictures from when I was a baby and it looks like we were the same size at the same location!
-spent some more time with my maternal grandmother
-ate at a Japanese food restaurant. Similar to the Teppanyaki (sp?) restaurants that we went to in Taiwan, but more elegant
-got tans, but nothing too extreme!

I managed to do some driving as well. Uncle Yves loaned me his car for several days, so I was able to see more family members. There, they drive on the left hand side, and the roads are narrower, so that always takes some getting used to!
I wasn't very comfortable with travelling by public transit for long distances, especially if it included carrying her car seat, clothes, etc. I guess I'm really Canadianised now!

Our flight back was pretty good, although we had to leave Port of Spain(dep:9PM) to go to Caracas, Venezuela(dep: midnight), before we could go back to Toronto(arr:5AM). The upside though was that the plane was emptier on the way back, so my Mom and Aunt got the coveted Emergency Exit row that has a wee bit more leg room, and I got 3 seats together on the other side. Jillian s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out on 2 seats(yes, I did put a seatbelt on her), and I tried to doze off upright. That's when I realized: My happiness depends on her happiness, 'cause there's no way that I could have slept comfortably while she was still awake(and cranky!).

We arrived in Toronto, and my Aunt was on a later connecting flight. So, no problem, Mom, Jillian and myself get on the plane at gate 126, land in Ottawa around 8am, and wait for her to show up an hour later. As the last people are collecting their luggage around 9:30ish, we realize that we forgot to tell her that the next flight was leaving at gate ***132***, not 126! A very long story later, she arrived around noon, and her luggage arrived at our doorstep later on that evening!

Oh, did I mention that my (very handsome!) cousin is an air traffic controller in Trinidad? We had a very nice takeoff, thank you very much!

Jillian's baptism was also today. We had Father Paul (aka. Father What-a-Waste). My friend Shell came up with the nickname when he was at her parish over 12 years ago. My Aunt came from Trinidad, my Uncle from Toronto (who also cooked for us afterwards), and my Dad made the drive up from NYC. Vanessa came from Montreal as the role of Godmother, and Shawn as the Godfather(no Marlon Brando jokes, please!).

Everything went pretty smoothly (I think), and she looked *adorable* in her Christening gown that Shawn's mom made. She didn't even cry when the holy water hit her! I think that maybe she was wondering why she was getting a bath in the middle of the day with her clothes on and so many people watching! She's used to leaning over her tub like that when we are getting ready to wash her hair! hee hee....

She did get cranky at my Mom's house with everyone around, wanting to hold her, and the fancy-schmancy dress that I wanted her to wear, but wasn't comfy for her. She did manage to pass out for a few hours, and was rearing to go until 11pm tonight!

Tomorrow is her 6 month checkup at the doctor's, including her next round of shots. I wonder if she'll remember the doctor's office from the last time?

No comments: